Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
The Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies (CLACS) coordinates undergraduate and graduate education in Latin American and Caribbean Studies, and promotes research and dissemination of knowledge about the region. CLACS offers an interdisciplinary undergraduate certificate in Latin American studies, which students can earn in conjunction with their bachelor’s degree. Faculty associated with the center offer a wide range of courses in the humanities, social sciences, environmental sciences, Portuguese, Spanish, French, and Haitian Kreyol, and K’iche’ Maya.
2018-2019 Notable Programs
- Our Planet in Permanent Change: Do I have a Role to Play?
- Luis Guillermo Solís: Central American Realities
- Foreseeable Flight: How have U.S. and Central America created regions of displacement?
- Mellon Undergraduate Awards for Summer Research in Latin America and the Caribbean
- Duke Brazil Initiative (DBI) Undergraduate Research Grants
- Undergraduate Overseas Research Grants
- Summer Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships for Undergraduate Students
Certificates & Degrees